Severe Weather Provision
SEVERE WEATHER PROVISION
Every winter brings the possibility of snow/ice and extreme bad weather can cause widespread and prolonged disruption.
As a fundamental principle every effort must be made to keep schools open, even if only limited numbers of pupils can attend. However schools may close due to ‘unavoidable’ circumstances. Those circumstances being that it is no longer safe for staff or pupils to be onsite.
We recognise that it is important that our school remains open so parents are able to work and pupils can continue to learn. We will make every effort to prepare for severe snow/ice this winter by clearing access paths from both the main entrance and the top gate.
How will we let you me know if the school is closed?
However, if we do experience severe snow/ice resulting in hazardous conditions, I may have to take the decision to close the school. Once this decision has been made parents will be notified via the Kent Closures website and Parentmail/text.
To determine whether Lady Boswell’s C.E. Primary School is open or closed please visit www.kentclosures.co.uk. Search for the school in the search box.
The Kent Closures website can also be used to find out if other services in Kent are open or closed, such as nurseries, children’s centres and libraries. We also recommend parents sign up for SMS/Email alerts on the Kent Closures website. This service will send an SMS or email alert to let parents know if our school is closed.
Parents can also listen to KMFM, BBC Radio Kent or Heart FM to hear if the school has closed.
Those families who attend The Orchard Breakfast Club should check the school website/mobile phone before leaving home in the morning. We aim to announce any closure by 7.15 am.
What can you do to help?
- Please visit www.kent.gov.uk/winter for more information about gritting routes and travel issues around Kent so you can plan your journey.
- Please be prepared to provide a packed lunch from home in case we are unable to open the school kitchen.
- Don’t forget suitable warm clothing – gloves, hats, scarves, wellies etc. or even a change of clothing. A spare pair of socks/tights should be kept in school at all times.
- If you are a working parent or feel you may have a problem with a sudden earlier pick up, it is imperative that you put a back-up plan in place with another family member or parent and inform the school. Failure to do this may result in my staff being stranded and unable to get home themselves.
- Please avoid calling the office to ask whether the school is closing – please look at the website and Kent Closures first. We have two incoming telephone lines and need to keep these free for emergencies. Our office staff will be busy co-ordinating the early collection of children.
- All children attending The Orchard After School Club must nominate someone locally who is able to collect and care for the children in the event of early closure.
Thank you for your support during the coming winter months.